Friday, December 2, 2011

GETTING TO KNOW MY INTERNATIONAL CONTACTS

First I need to once again thank Siddig Barech from Pakistan for keeping the line of communication open with me during these last weeks.  I gain so much information about global issues/trends from our conversations.  Beside email we have chatted quite a few times on Facebook about many issues/trends.

When I first brought the topic of the issues of equity/inequity in the early childhood field he did not quite understand my views but was willing to allow me to explain and I in turn allowed him to explain what his thoughts are.  As educators we are aware that there is a definite global inequity but it really brings it home when you actually are corresponding with an individual who lives these inequities.  During our conversation Siddig told me that he wished I could visit Pakistan for a week and see for myself what the government schools are like.  He further explained that it might change my views on a child-centered curriculum as he sees the need for a system of strict standards with no give.

He said that such ideas, such as what I expressed, might never be known in Pakistan for those who are not considered in an elite group with wealth.  He stated that about 99% of their teachers or about 1% of the schools are run by any International standards.  He went on to state that their curriculum is about 64 years old and is practiced in most of the disciplines.  He also said that the arts and history varies a lot but is still practiced.  Our conversation brought to light how easy it is to misconstrue what one person is saying.  In this instance one of his concerns was that I saw no value in history or the arts.  It was nice to talk it out and end up on the same page so to speak.

I also asked if Siddig knew of any websites that I could go on to find out further information about the Pakistan government schools.  He told me that I could search on Google under educational system of Pakistan.  Of course being the type of person who loves to research, I did just that.  The website I chose to further research was http://www.cfr.org.  This was a real eye opener for me.  If anyone is interested in viewing this website for further information, I would highly recommend it even though the information was from 2009; I feel it is still relevant.

Reference

Pakistan's education system and links to extremism. (2009). Council on Foreign RelationsRetrieved from http://www.cfr.org/pakistan/pakistans-education-system-links-extremism/p20364

4 comments:

  1. What a fascinating conversation that you had with your contact about Pakistan and their educational system. I suppose this is the purpose behind this assignment for us . . . to help us to see the similarities and differences from country to country. The mere fact that you have contacted him and he is corresponding with you is providing him with an opportunity to see a different way of doing things. I would tend to think that it is doubtful he would ever change the way he is teaching, but it is at least broadening his understanding of education in other places. It sounds like Pakistan certainly is proud of their history and culture and intend to pass that along to their children. I had a young boy from Pakistan in my first grade class about six years ago and then tutored him individually when he was in fourth grade. It was interesting getting to know more about his family and his culture through my interactions with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, it does sound like you had a very interesting and educational conversation. Was the confusion a language barrier? Or just that the ideas were uncommon and there lay the misunderstanding? I am sure the different cultures make a difference as well with understanding ideas. So did you say they value the arts too? That's great! Is that possible still in poverty stricken areas as well? I'll have to check out the website you suggested, sounds very interesting. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin,
    It sounds like you have been very lucky in establishing a great contact internationally. This sounds like you had a great conversation and have learned a great deal from him. It is interesting that he feels the schools should be so strict, but i am sure that this has a lot to do with the different cultures and our differences. Thank you for sharing on your conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin,

    It sounds like you are learning a lot from Siddig and he from you. It is nice to have a conversation with someone who is passionate in there field. It creates some very interesting conversation. That is exactly what it sounds like your conversations are. Thank you for sharing your conversations and the website.

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete