Saturday, November 26, 2011

SHARING WEB RESOURCES CON'T

For this posting I decided to look further into the organization Early Childhood Australia:  The Australian Early Childhood Advocacy Organization (http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/) that I had previously posted as one of my new resources.

I began to look through previous articles in the website’s “Every Child magazine” and found a great article on titled “Cultural Competence – Ensuring Individuality is Integral to Equity, Fairness and Social Justice.”  I felt this article was relevant to my current professional development because it gives great information on the need to recognize the strengths of diverse knowledge, languages, cultures and ways of becoming involved in a positive way into our communities from the viewpoint from another country.  This information also was helpful as it does add to my understanding of unintentional consequences when children are defined as commodities in the views of economists with the concern of CORE standards.

This article shows the need to remember and embrace the diversity of the children, their families and their communities.  The information is there about the need for quality early childhood education and care but also for the need to promote positive relationships with and between children, families, educators and their communities.

I found nothing on this website to be controversial in my beliefs of EEC but I am sure the more I explore the website, the more I will read about other new insights about issues and trends in the early childhood field of education.  I highly recommend this website as it is a wealth of information.  Especially for those like me who like to read and research everything of interest to them.

Reference

Cultural competence - ensuring individuality is integral to equity, fairness and social justice - Early Childhood Australia. (n.d.). Home - Early Childhood Australia. Retrieved November 26, 2011, from http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/every_child_magazine/every_child_index/cultural_competence_ensuring_individuality_is_integral_to_equity_fairness_and_social_justice.html

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this website, sounds like a very interesting view it can bring. How did you hear about it? What other issues do they cover? Thank you for sharing. I'll definately have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience. Working in multicultural setting and teaching children who are all from different backgrounds to mine, I think the article you read -“Every Child magazine” and found a great article on titled “Cultural Competence – Ensuring Individuality is Integral to Equity, Fairness and Social Justice.”- will be a great source for me. I will visit the site this week in order to read the article.

    ReplyDelete