Saturday, December 17, 2011

GETTING TO KNOW YOUR INTERNATIONAL CONTACTS CON'T

First I wanted to share some good news I received in my email today.  The announcement read:

“BOSTON - Friday, December 16, 2011:  The Patrick-Murray Administration today announced that Massachusetts is one of nine grant award winners in President Obama's Early Learning Challenge (ELC) competition and will receive significant funding over the next four years to expand high quality early education services and close achievement gaps in education.

Massachusetts is eligible for $50 million under the ELC and the U.S. Department of Education will announce final grant amounts to each winner in the coming days. Other winners of the ELC competition include California, Delaware, Maryland, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island and the state of Washington. 

Today’s announcement demonstrates our place as a national leader in education reform and achievement, said Governor Deval Patrick.  These resources will help us reach kids at an early age, before achievement gaps form, to ensure they are prepared for lifelong success in school and beyond.””

It was really nice to see some positive news about funding for a change.   

Now for this week’s assigned posting. . . . . .

In the last seven weeks of correspondence with Siddig from Pakistan, I have discovered a person with a lot of the same goals as myself.  He is currently a social worker, but his master degree is in Economics since his parents did not feel that a career in social work was worthy of a good future.  He went ahead and did as they wished but his heart has stayed with the children who are in need of his assistance. 

His future goal is to do what he can for the children of his country.  He is very interested in the psychological aspects pertaining to children and their early learning as well.  During our correspondence he has stated that Pakistan will be the best place for my true cause of helping children as the situation there with the government run schools is not very positive.  The more I look into the link understand (as previously posted - www.cfr.org) he suggested to me, the more I really understand how great his challenge is going to be.  I look forward to keeping our communication open for many years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing. I totally didn't hear about that at all,and I live in massachusetts. (I guess I live under a rock) Very good to know. When concerning your correspondence; sounds like you made a great connection and found a parallel personality type maybe? Sounds like anyone, along with yourself can benefit highly with the knowledge you have gained by talking to him and hearing about other resources for you to look into. Great post yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some great news!!! You are right. It is always great to hear positive news about funding. That doesn't happen very often these days. I know here in California we are facing more budget cuts in our state funded programs. I just hope things get sorted out soon. Thank you for sharing. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete