Saturday, October 13, 2012

USING SOCIAL MEDIA TO GET CONNECTED

For this week’s blog assignment we were instructed to review the learning resource “Social Media Advocacy: Five Influential Steps” (E-Advocate, 2011) and consider our own experiences with social media.  Then we were asked to reflect on how we have used social media to connect with others in our world, and, if we have not yet used social media, how this tool might be utilized.  Then we were asked to consider social media within the context of our advocacy work, and think about how the varied forms of social media might be used to build awareness and passion around a particular issue.

I will begin by admitting that I probably spend more time on the computer (after my necessary child care work and class work is completed) than I should but this is one way in which I keep in touch with everyone since I spend so much time at home (given what I do and how my schedule is at the present time).  I currently receive email newsletters for multiple organizations from all around the world which provides me with the needed information resources I require in order to effectively advocate for the children and their families in which I work with.  I also have accounts on Facebook and Twitter.  I currently use Facebook more than I do Twitter as those individuals I am keeping in contact with seem to be more active on Facebook.  I find Facebook useful (besides getting the opportunity to play some very addictive games) as a great way to keep in touch with those of like mind to me as well as the organizations from around the world which provide useful information on research, etc.  For example, I use Facebook to keep in touch with Yours For Children, Inc. (the USDA food program I work with to provide nutritional meals for the children in my care).  There are always new postings of great ideas in how to teach children about good nutrition, trainings, research, and easy contact with others in the same field.  As licensed child care providers we do not get to meet with each other too often so this is a great way to keep in contact and share ideas, etc.

I have also discovered the fun of blogging and love writing on this blog each week.  I look forward to continuing with this practice even after I finish this degree.  In the near future I will more than likely supply a link to it on my Facebook page.  The more I use Facebook the more I see the potential to reach so many other individuals.  The only resource I do not upload any items to is YouTube but I have used the website when instructed to do so in past classes.

References

E-Advocate. (2011). Social media advocacy: Five influential steps. Retrieved from http://eadvocate.wordpress.com/social-media-advocacy-six-influential-steps/

 

2 comments:

  1. Robin,this weeks assignment had me looking back to when I first got a computer and how overwhelmed I was and now years later for me to be blogging is AMAZING! I have a facebook page which I rarely sign in on, but it is a great way to stay in touch when you use it! I havent branched out to any other social media but maybe soon :)

    Thanks for shareing such great information.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. smm reseller panel

    ReplyDelete