Saturday, September 15, 2012

PERSONAL ADVOCACY REFLECTION

I have always tried to advocate for others when I could.  One incident in particular reinforced the path I have chosen to pursue.  This incident occurred with one of the children who were enrolled in my childcare.  The basics of the situation are this little boy had been (allegedly) subjected to physical abuse from his mother’s new boyfriend.  Because he was only three-years-old at the time and had been diagnosed with high functioning Autism, the investigative worker through DCF (Department of Children and Families) made the statement to me that this child had no voice.  She did not see why she should keep the case open since the child’s mother recanted her corroboration of the event which took place.  I explained that this little boy did have a voice and that she was getting really frustrated with the system.  I reminded her that this was not a good thing since I would be calling her supervisor in order to discuss the situation.  Suffice to say this investigator was taken off the case and a case was opened in order to make sure the children in the household were being taken care of and not being subjected to abuse by the mom’s boyfriend.  I am happy to say that mom eventually left this guy and the children (from what I hear) are doing great.  The little boy in question is now eight-years-old and has been mainstreamed into the regular classrooms at school.  I was given a picture of him by a mutual friend and was very happy to see how well he is doing.

I see this situation (mentioned-above) as the reinforcement I needed that I was heading in the right direction with my studies.  At this time in my life I was still trying to figure out who I was and what I wanted to do now that I was no longer in the role of wife (since my late husband's accident).  This situation led to one another and so on.  I now have a new confidence that I did not have at that point in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Robin it is wonderfu that you had the courage to speak out for this child and his famialy because sometimes individuals look to agency employees in CPS and Family Service agencies to be trained to be better advocates for children and sometin=mes we are faced with peope like the one you encountered.I am glad to hear the child and family are better.Thanks for sharing such a heart felt story.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a powerful situation. I hate reading about it happening, but it is important that an advocate was there. We all need those situations that change our outlooks or put us back on track. We begin to appreciate our experience, our education, and what we do. I think this is when we being to look at ourselves as professionals in the field.

    ReplyDelete