Tuesday, September 27, 2011

MY CONNECTION TO PLAY


“Play is the highest expression of
human development in childhood,
for it alone is the free expression of
what is in a child’s soul.”

                                                                   ~ Fredrick Froebel

I found this quote quite a few years ago in one of my favorite books, titled Tumbling Over the Edge – A Rant for Child’s Play, written by Bev Bos and Jenny Chapman.  I refer to this quote quite often in my course assignments over the years as it sums up my philosophy of early childhood education and the importance of play in a child’s development.

As a child care provider, comments have been made repeatedly over the last twenty-two years such as “You don’t work, you play all day.” or “One day you will need to get a real job.”  I,  in turn, educate them on how lucky I am to have had the opportunity to play for the last twenty-two years while operating a licensed family child care program.

Reference

Bos, B. J., & Chapman, J. (2005). Tumbling over the edge: a rant for children's play. Roseville, CA: Turn the Page Press.


"Play is often talked about as if it were a relief
from serious learning. But for children play is
serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood."

                                                                   ~ Fred Rogers

Play, according to developmentalists, is the most productive and enjoyable activity in which children undertake.  Play is considered universal since it is apparent in every part of the world and has been for thousands of years (Berger, 2009). 

Child-initiated play lays the foundations of learning.  Through play, children learn to interact with others, to recognize and solve problems, and to feel the sense of mastery that results.  Basically, play helps children make sense of and find their own place in the physical and social world (Alliance for Childhood, 2005).

Play is closely linked to children’s intellectual, social, emotional, and physical progress.  Decades of research has demonstrated that active childhood play boosts healthy development across a broad spectrum of critical areas.  The benefits are so impressive that every day of childhood should be a day for play (Alliance for Childhood, 2005).

References

Berger, K. S. (2009). In The developing person through childhood. New York: Worth.

Alliance for Childhood, C. D. (2005). Time for play, every day: It's Fun – and fundamental. Alliance for Childhood.


Thinking back to when I was younger, I remember there not really being a choice – if it was sunny out – we were outside for the day involved in some type of activity with our friends during the school vacation times.  We were each called in for lunch and snacks and then off we went again until dinner time.  When we were in school this was the case as well once homework was completed.  Of course, this was in the 70’s when there was not 100’s of television stations, computers, Internet, cell phones, or video game systems.  I remember on days when the weather was not good and we were inside making tents, forts, playing school with all my dolls, or just relaxing and reading.  I remember puddle jumping in the rain when the weather was warm enough and being outside in the snow building snowmen, snow forts, and making snow angels. We were encouraged to use our imaginations to their fullest potential.  Each of our friends homes were also like our homes and we all took turns going from house to house depending on what we were doing that particular day.

The difference I see today is that children are not allowed to just be children.  Play has now become a structured activity coordinated to provide the ultimate education for the children.  I take a lot of criticism for allowing the children to have at least two parts of the day when they can just play.  They have their choices of what they want to do and as long as they are safe and happy, the toys, books, blankets, pillows, etc. are there for them.  I make sure I limit movies and television as well.  I believe with all the technology that is now available as well as all the toys that are out there, it is our job as educators, parents, guardians, etc… to make sure there is a healthy balance for the children.

12 comments:

  1. I also remember not having a choice when I was young and was expected to play outside. These were some of my favorite memories! I also think children should be allowed to be kids. Thanks you for sharing your support system
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is very important for children to have a good support system. You are lucky to have had the people behind you as a child. It is difficult to keep the balance with technology, but I believe it is needed.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, great blog. I agree with your last sentence. Educators have a duty to maintain a healthy balance in a child's life. Research has shown that play is important and therefore, play should always be incorporated in a child's day. Thanks for the book reference, I will definitely be checking it out. And don't worry, you do have a very important REAL JOB, they are just jealous because you are having so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your healthy belief of providing a balance for children because children need that limit when it comes to television and cable programs. In today's society, children have too much access to what is being shown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your post about the balance for children because in today's society, it seems that people don't value balance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good post. I especially like the comment about the balance provided for children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your post and yes, children need balance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin,
    Beautiful post. I remember people making the same comment to me about playing and not really having a real job. I told them the exact same thing you said. Play has truly become structure,children can't just be children and play,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robin,
    Beautiful post. I remember people making the same comment to me about playing and not really having a real job. I told them the exact same thing you said. Play has truly become structure,children can't just be children and play,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin,
    Beautiful post. I remember people making the same comment to me about playing and not really having a real job. I told them the exact same thing you said. Play has truly become structure,children can't just be children and play,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robin,
    Beautiful post. I remember people making the same comment to me about playing and not really having a real job. I told them the exact same thing you said. Play has truly become structure,children can't just be children and play

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robin,
    When I worked in day care,I had people tell me the same thing,and I would tell them the same thing you said. I can remember playing outside all day and not wanting to come inside.

    ReplyDelete